No Smoking Day - Wednesday 14th March
13 March 2012
The annual health campaign - No Smoking Day - is just around the corner. On Wednesday 14 March, hundreds of smokers in the Carrickfergus Borough will be urged to “take the leap this leap year” to break their smoking habit and start a new and healthy lifestyle.
Paul Mawhinney, the Sports Development & Social Wellness Officer said “Quitting smoking is the single most important thing that anyone can do to improve their health”. “A number of our staff have undertaken training to signpost clients to local quit smoking services.
I would encourage anyone interested in improving their health and wellbeing who wants to quit smoking to come down to the Amphitheatre on Wednesday evening between 6pm and 8pm to get yourself checked out and see what’s on offer!”
The No Smoking Day event will offer:
Information on local ‘quit smoking’ services
Body Mass Index (BMI) analysis
Blood pressure monitoring
Free family swim for successful quitters*
Sign up for a free Fitness Suite Induction*
*Amphitheatre Wellness Centre is offering a free family swim or one complimentary fitness session at the Gymnasium Suite to successful ‘quitters’. To qualify for the scheme a smoker must have their ‘quit’ verified by a local quit smoking service provider, pharmacist or GP. Free family swim or complimentary fitness session must be claimed by 30 April 2012.
Paul Mawhinney added “Those who do quit smoking will gain many health and financial benefits in next to no time, these include:
- Feeling fitter and having loads of energy to start that healthy lifestyle – not feeling out of breath when you reach the top of the stairs.
- Saving loads of money – giving up a 20-a-day habit will save you around £42 a week. Stop on No Smoking Day and by June you can save over £500!
Gillian McAtackney, who provided training for Amphitheatre Wellness Centre staff said, “No Smoking Day, particularly in this leap year and in the run up to the Olympic Games is a great opportunity to ‘Take the Leap’ and quit smoking.”
The Workplace Smoking Cessation Service provides free quit smoking services and training to employers in Carrickfergus Borough. Interested businesses should contact Gillian 028 2587 2866 or visit: www.want2stop.info/workplace
Notes to Editor:
1. National No Smoking Day is on Wednesday 14 March 2012.
2. For Health and Safety reasons, all users of the Fitness suite must be over 16 years of age and have completed an induction in the safe use of equipment
3. For more information please contact Sports Development & Social Wellness Officer, Paul Mawhinney on 02893 35 88 88.
For further information please contact:
Telephone: 028 9335 8888